Mom knows best. Especially when it comes to cooking delicious meals.
If there is a pattern I have noticed in great cooks, it is that their recipes are never actually real “recipes.” When I asked my mom how she makes her chicken pot pie, she could provide me no actual measurements, temperatures, or times. This is much like both of my grandmothers’ frustrating recipes that are notorious for saying ambiguous things like “a little bit of ___,” “until the consistency is right,” or “bake until done”. For a novice cook, this is a nightmare. So, I took her loose directions and translated them into a recipe that is both delicious and replicable (whew!) AND, most importantly, tastes like how she makes it.
- 1 frozen deep dish pie crust (thawed)
- 1 lb chicken breast, cut into small chunks
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 16 oz package frozen mixed veggies
- 1 10.5 oz can cream of chicken
- Instant mashed potatoes (6 servings worth + water, milk, butter according to directions)
- 1/2 Tbsp onion powder
- 1/2 Tbsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Take out frozen pie crust and leave it out to thaw while preparing the filling (OR for the uber-domestic, make your own pie crust).
- Chop onion and saute with olive oil on medium heat in a large skillet.
- While onions are sauteing, cook the package of frozen mixed vegetables in the microwave and drain.
- Once onions are soft and golden brown, add chicken and cook until no longer pink, stirring occasionally.
- When chicken is cooked through, add the mixed veggies, can of cream of chicken, onion powder, and a splash of milk. Cook all together for a few minutes then turn off the heat.
- While the chicken is cooking, prepare 6 servings worth of instant mashed potatoes according to the directions on the box. Box directions may vary by brand but you will need water, milk, and butter for this as well (again, if you are feeling super domestic, you can also mash real potatoes). Stir in the garlic powder.
- Pour chicken/veggie mixture into thawed pie crust and top with mounds of mashed potatoes.
- Bake pot pie in oven for approximately 30 minutes or until crust and potatoes turn golden on the edges. Be careful not to burn the pie crust!