I would just like to begin by emphasizing here, this recipe is so very DELICIOUS.
Like, “it’s 11:00am but I am thinking about how I want to eat the leftovers for dinner 7 hours from now” good.
First, I must give credit to the original blogger, Emily Bites, who adapted this recipe from Taste of Home magazine. I think actually that this is the first recipe I’ve made in a while that I didn’t feel a desire to alter in any way.
- 16 oz whole wheat pasta of your choice (I used spirals)
- 1 lb Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed (I used sweet but the bold among you can go with hot)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 package (10 oz) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/2 cup fat free half-and-half cream
- 1 cup reduced fat shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350. Lightly coat a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
2. Cook pasta according to directions on box, then drain and set aside.
3. While pasta cooks, in a large sauté pan, cook the sausage and onion over medium heat, breaking up sausage until it is browned. Add minced garlic and cook for an additional minute. Add the tomatoes, basil, oregano and black pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Add pasta, spinach and half-and-half to the sausage mixture and stir to combine. Heat through and then pour into the baking dish. Sprinkle the mozzarella and then Parmesan cheese evenly over the top. Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes until the top looks golden like in the picture below.