Alrighty, I am back with another delicious and healthy fall soup recipe!
Halloween was a complete bust last night so I’m just going to hope for a better experience next year when we are living back up north…though actually, the past 2 Halloweens up there have been ravaged by devastating snow and rain storms, so I guess I should just cut my losses. With a day to get over it, I can look back on this Halloween and laugh at all our failures on one of my favorite days: 1. I was SO excited to carve pumpkins, bought 3 of them, and we ran out of time to carve them, 2. I bought 15lbs of candy excited for my first year of trick-or-treaters ever and only 1 crying little girl came to our door, 3. We resolved to just watch a super scary movie to redeem the evening and the movie was totally lame. So anyways, now we have a crapload of candy which will be reflected in my waistline soon enough if I don’t get rid of it.
At least I have some healthy things in my refrigerator to offset the imbalance of junk food in the house! This recipe is for a delicious beef barley soup that is filling and tasty but not super thick (if you would like it to be thicker like a stew, just add 1-2 Tbsp flour). This recipe comes from my favorite recipe blog Skinnytaste and the only thing I changed from the original recipe was adding 1 beef bouillon cube for a little extra flavor. Besides that, the recipe is perfect and got a thumbs up from hubby too. According to Skinnytaste, a 1.5 cup serving of this soup (which is filling enough for a full meal – even for dinner) is only 336 calories…plus only 5 calories for the added bouillon cube! And it contains 32 grams protein and 6 grams fiber! Woohoo!
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1-1/2 lbs lean beef round stew meat
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 6 cups water
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1 – 2 tsp salt, to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- 2/3 cup dry barley
- fresh ground black pepper
- [I would suggest chopping all your vegetables prior to starting this because it takes a while and your meat only takes a few minutes to brown] On medium heat, brown beef in olive oil in a large pot.
- Once meat is browned, add carrots, onion, celery, and garlic and stir until well combined.
- Add water, salt, beef bouillon cube, and bay leaves and turn up the heat to bring to a boil. [If you want a thicker stew-like soup, add 1-2 Tbsp flour] Once boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer covered about 1.5-2 hours to allow meat to soften and flavors to combine.
- Add barley and simmer another 30-35 minutes. Remove bay leaves, add salt and pepper to taste, and enjoy!