If you are bored with your standard breaded chicken breast, this recipe is the solution. This chicken is sooo delicious…crispy, tasty, and very simple! This is great for a weeknight meal when you may not have a lot of time to cook. From start to finish this recipe only takes about 20 minutes! The crunchiness of the Panko crumbs and almonds and the flavors of the seasonings combine to make a mouth-watering chicken dinner that is definitely worth trying. I found the original recipe in Better Homes & Gardens but I modified it somewhat to give it more flavor.
PLUS, the almonds provide an added bonus! Almonds are a pretty powerful nut – they can lower bad cholesterol, increase your energy levels, reduce your risk of heart disease and diabetes, lower your risk of weight gain, and are packed with protein. In fact 1/4 cup of almonds has more protein than 1 egg (8 grams vs. 6 grams)!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (pounded to 1/4″ – 1/2″ thickness)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 1/2 cup finely chopped almonds (I usually put almonds in plastic bag and hammer with mallet)
- 1/2 cup Panko crumbs
- 1 tsp each of dried rosemary, onion powder, garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp each of salt and ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- One at a time, place chicken breast halves (breast filleted in half) between sheets of wax paper and pound to 1/4″-1/2″ thickness with flat end of meat mallet.
- In shallow dish, whisk egg and milk together. In a separate dish, mix together all dry ingredients.
- Dip chicken breasts in egg mixture, turning to coat. Allow excess to drip off and then dip both sides in dry almond mixture, pressing into the chicken.
- In large skillet, heat olive oil on medium heat. Cook breaded chicken breasts on both sides until browned and crispy. It will be about 4-5 minutes on each side, depending on how thick your chicken is.
- Remove from skillet and serve!