My husband and I have been on a huge avocado kick lately. Although the flavor is mild, it somehow makes everything taste so much better. Plus, avocado packs so many powerful health benefits that it takes this classic chicken parm dish to the next level. The original recipe was taken from Cuisine Paradise.
Research hails avocado as the ultimate “superfood”. Avocado provides a unique composition of healthy fats, promotes heart health and eye health, reduces inflammation and prevents osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis, optimizes the absorption of nutrients (carotenoids in particular), promotes blood sugar regulation, provides a high concentration of Vitamin E (which protects against many diseases), and helps prevent certain cancers (especially oral, prostate, and breast cancer).
Besides the health benefits, this recipe is absolutely delicious. I believe my husband’s first words were : “Wow”…and isn’t that the reaction everyone wants?
- 4-6 chicken breast cutlets (pounded thin)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 Italian breadcrumbs (I used 1 cup Italian crumbs + 1/2 cup Panko crumbs for extra crispiness)
- 1/2 cup pasta sauce
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- olive oil (or olive oil spray)
- Preheat oven to 395. Place chicken in plastic ziplock bag and pound thin using a meat mallet or rolling pin (chicken should already be fairly thin cutlets – if all you have is breasts, fillet them first).
- On one plate, put your flour. On another plate or in a shallow bowl, put your breadcrumbs. In another shallow bowl, lightly whisk your eggs and milk.
- One at a time, dredge each chicken cutlet in flour (on both sides), dip in egg mixture (let excess drip off), and then coat in breadcrumbs, using your fingers to press the breadcrumbs onto the chicken.
- Place breaded chicken onto a foil-lined baking tray. Lightly spray the chicken with olive oil spray or brush the chicken with a thin layer of olive oil if you don’t have spray. Bake chicken for 8 minutes (turning once halfway through).
- Remove tray from oven and spread each chicken cutlet with 1-2 tablespoons pasta sauce. Arrange layer of avocado slices over sauce and then sprinkle top with mozzarella cheese.
- Return to oven and bake for another 6-8 minutes or until golden and chicken is cooked through (you can test this by cutting into the chicken and making sure it is not pink on the inside). Enjoy!