I think it would be hard for most of us adults to deny that we get a little jealous when we watch kids eat chicken nuggets. At least I hope that’s not just me…
There is just something nostalgic about them. For me, I specifically remember earning trips to McDonalds as a child…every single time I would order chicken nuggets, french fries, and an orange drink (whatever that was). For some reason I would only eat the “moist” nuggets (a.k.a. the dark meat/ground up mystery chicken parts) and toss the dry ones (a.k.a. the “healthy” white meat)…pretty gross in retrospect. Sometimes I marvel at how my chicken nugget eating and candy hoarding did not make me a chubby kid. Luckily I grew up with parents and extended family that cooked pretty healthy meals and only spoiled me with fatty snacks occasionally as treats.
Anyways, this brings me back to the nuggets. A delicious childhood treat but as we all get older and our metabolisms slow down, we can’t be pulling up to the drive-thru on a regular basis. Fear not, I found a delicious healthy version that even waist-conscious adults can enjoy! Perfect as a appetizer finger food or a dinner with assorted dipping sauces, these nuggets were delicious and super easy and quick to make. Only 10 minutes of prep and less than 15 minutes in the oven and that was it! Another hit from Skinnytaste.
- 2-3 large chicken breasts, pounded thin and then sliced into nugget-sized chunks
- salt and pepper
- 2-3 tsp olive oil
- 6-9 Tbsp Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 2-4 Tbsp Panko bread crumbs
- 2-4 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- spray olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425. Spray a foil-lined baking sheet with olive oil.
- Pound your chicken breast thin and then slice it into nugget-sized chunks (or strips for chicken fingers).
- Place chicken chunks in a large bowl, drizzle the olive oil on top and toss to coat.
- Mix up dry ingredients in a large plastic ziplock bag. Dump chicken chunks in bag and shake until well coated.
- Place chicken nuggets on baking sheet and stick in oven. Lightly spray olive oil over the top of the nuggets.
- Bake 8-10 minutes. Flip and then cook another 4-5 minutes.
- Serve with your choice of dipping sauces…ketchup, honey mustard, bbq sauce, ranch dressing, etc.!