When my husband goes out of town, that can only mean one thing…Yes, I admit it…I COOK WITH ALL THE VEGGIES I WANT! Silly I know, but though I miss him when he’s gone I take advantage of our time apart by indulging in all the vegetables that I love but that he doesn’t care for. Don’t get me wrong, he has come a long way in the vegetable-tolerance department since we have lived together but I have accepted that we may never be quite on the same page when it comes to excitement over garden goodies.
I had plenty of veggies leftover from when I grilled kabobs last week (OMG…SO good) so I whipped up an impromptu dinner recipe that was delicious and incredibly easy and quick! You can use any seasonal veggies you like but I used onion, red pepper, yellow squash, and zucchini. My favorite chicken sausage is from Sam’s Club and it is all natural with spinach and asiago cheese…it is precooked and the flavor is delightful! So I know that many of you don’t have access to Sam’s Club sausage BUT you can use any type of sausage that you want and it can be flavored or not flavored, it’s totally up to you!
Anyway, regardless of the meat you use (you could even use regular chicken cut into chunks like a stir fry!), this is very quick and simple and tastes delicious. Plus, the best part (in my eyes) is that you don’t have to rack your brain thinking of healthy sides to go with your meal because this is a one-dish meal! My favorite!
- Olive oil
- 1 onion, cut into chunks
- 1/2 – 1 red pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 zucchini and 1 yellow squash, sliced into discs (do not peel!)
- Chicken sausage (I used a package of five precooked links), sliced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- A little sprinkle of onion powder, garlic powder, and oregano (optional)
- Heat saute pan to medium heat and cook onions in olive oil for a few minutes before adding the other chopped veggies. Stir onion frequently to prevent burning. After a few minutes, add the rest of the veggies. Cover pan for a few minutes to allow veggies to steam cook for a few more minutes.
- Add chicken sausage and stir. Cover again and stir occasionally until hot and the flavors have mingled. (NOTE: if you sausage is not precooked, add it in much sooner to allow the meat to cook through)
- That’s it! Enjoy!